Wednesday, July 2, 2008



June 30

We set out to find a vegetarian restaurant that is known for the quality of its food. The Naturalismo has four tables, and ignorant of the street traffic, we choose one closest to the beaded doorway street side. So as we are feeding ourselves beautiful, nutritious food, we battle to hear each other speak over the loud buses rumbling past, and the overpowering smell of exhaust fumes. Then we hear the sounds of people singing. A hearse drives my on the narrow, cobble stone street, followed by a host of children and adults, walking slowly behind. The Mexican men with their straw cowboy hat use them to shield the sun, but will not lay them on their heads. It is a somber site.

Later this day we explore the edge of town with stairs that climb to hundreds of feet above the steeple of the Parroquia. It’s grueling, but the payoff is a spectacular view of the city. Legs aching we stumble down, down, down and join the less adventurous.

July 1

Today I fall in love. I am not sure what provokes such feeling…yes, I had coffee, but I hadn’t yet eaten! We are walking along to revisit the afore mentioned restaurant when I realized that I am loving this adventure! Maybe it is my rigidity loosening up. So what if we don’t have a set schedule. Relax.
Wow! OK then. We get to the restaurant to see the metal doors shut tightly and secured with a lock. Uh oh…the good feeling starts to fade. I rebound with a suggestion to go to that beautiful courtyard with a restaurant attached. Ah. Tranquility returns.
But it is a big day, and there is no time to just sit around. It is Tuesday and the Market is today!! We take a cab, and the driver drops us at the fringes of what is perhaps the biggest flea market/food market I have ever seen. There are blankets on the ground with old tools on them, tables piled high with underwear, the table next has chicken parts being picked over, and of course, the table stacked with deep-fried pig skin. But this is not those little chunks you see in packages… these are full sides of pig. The next area has t-shirts, one of which says “men are pigs, but we all love bacon." Ironic. The sites and smells of this market are overwhelming, but we manage to buy some bootleg DVDs and battle for a cab. We barely reach home before a huge thunderstorm sets right down on our casa. The power blinks on and off, and we stay clear of the windows as lightening strikes so close you can’t count between flash and thunder. It’s been two hours and the rain pours down like a river.

4 comments:

Joan said...

Nice blog, Traci. Am enjoying the trip vicariously. The slow pace sounds great. I'm trying to do more of that myself these days, even here at home.

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!

Thanks so much for sharing. Excellent decriptions, Traci. I feel like I'm there too. Remember to have a toast to the old USofA on the 4th. This is the first time I've ever blogged (I am blogging, right?) So you've shared another experience with me too. Have fun and keep writing!

Miss you!

Denise V

Anonymous said...

How great to ssslllooowww dddooowwwnnn. We hope to do that in Mammoth. How goes the Spanish? So impressed you are web savvy:) Have a great 4th. I have band stuff but I'm not talking 'til you ask!!!!!

Adios,
Anne B

Harlan Brown said...

I find the sence of serenity of this adventure to be rather disturbing. I will draft an agenda which you can follow for the remainder of your trip. There will be milestones to be reached and defined review points.

Harlan