I love the way the storms roll in with such command here in SMA. One minute it is a blue, blue sky, with some puffy clouds on the horizon. A sweet, warm day full of promise. Next you notice in the distance a building of the clouds, like a bomb explosion, reaching high into the endless sky. Then a deep, booming crash hits, as though directed by the conductor’s baton! You can feel it in the soles of your feet. In the midst of your surprise the clouds open and dump a deluge of rain down. Buckets of rain. The storm crashes on, and the birds come out as the sky returns to blue.
It feels magical.
On a less romatic note, I have included, for my cooking friends, Gigi, Joan, DanDan and Sean Madden) a picture of a process we have to do here to eat certain foods. We take any fruits (that you don't peel) and veggies and put them in the blue bucket with an iodine mix that kills bacteria. We put a plate on them to submerge them and leave them for 1/2 hour. Once that is done they are safe to eat. You NEVER skip this step unless you want to spend an lot of time in the bano.
5 comments:
Ah, my favorite - tomates en yodo. (No, I don't speak Spanish, just know how to use google language tools). Perhaps you could do a recipe collection of how to incorporate iodine into your cuisine.
E L Bano... jeez, do you not pay attn. in class?
since when do you eat fruits and veggies?
Yummy .... Iodine! I only have memories of my grandma pouring it on a wound but never the ritual to cleanse fruit and vegtables you describe. Who knew .... I must admit that it beats spending that much time in the BANO.
Keep in mind that you can always just soak your fruits in wine. I believe it is called Sangria if you leave them long enough. Not sure how good that would be for veggies...I know what you mean about the importance of keeping your intestinal health from at least two of my trips to Ecuador. Miss you guys!
I thought the bucket was the E L Bano...
I'd suggest you stick to the spam ("food")I sent you..a sound American product!
HB
Post a Comment