Saturday, July 5, 2008




Apparently I am not the only one who turned 50 this year. The Biblioteca Publica (public library) of San Miguel celebrates its 50th this year. It is considered one of the best bilingual libraries in Mexico. But it is more than just a library. You enter from the busy street into a relatively unremarkable building, which opens into a beautiful courtyard with fountain. It is also host to a wonderful cafĂ©, and the Teatro Santa Ana, where we pay the equivalent of $5 to watch the movie “Greenfingers”. The theatre is small, and Lisi points out the dead scorpion on the floor behind us. I must also point out that all those expats from the States and Canada are old. And when I say old, I mean older than me. By a long shot. So there is shuffling around while certain people get closer to the front (eyes) or away from the speakers (hearing aides). All in all I feel young, and that’s not a bad thing.
In spite of the large expat community there are no more fireworks than usual on this Independence Day, and when I go into the bank to exchange money I have to ask the date!

On our way home we have taken to stopping at the local panaderia. I am including a picture of my new best friend!

5 comments:

Joan said...

Well, you can't beat a biblioteca publica with a cafe. Easy to develop a serious thirst doing all that browsing and reading. Glad to know you're making friends with the baker.

Ann said...

is that a bottle of French's mustard next to your buddy?

Ann said...

and is it customary to put mustard on 'panda meat' ?

panaderia... that IS espanol for panda? que, no? porque?

Anonymous said...

Will you let me have at least ONE Spanish lesson before throwing all these words my way? What you can't really see in the picture is the bacon under the hot dog.

Harlan Brown said...

I'm impressed, most 50 year old objects are falling into serious disrepair...at least that has been my observation. That is a French's container...but what is inside of it? Still working on the agenda...is there a Starbuck's near by?