Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bummer, and the mean mean English

So the little white paper came in the mail today and broke our daughter's heart. Rejection sucks. I thought about sending back my Cambridge sweatshirt, but it's a really nice one. Oh well. So I fell back on my Jewish cliches and started spouting off "When God closes a door He opens a window", and other such dribble. The bottom line is life is kind of like that: doors opening and closing all the time. I often wonder where I would be if I hadn't played soccer, or the violin, or if my sister hadn't gotten pregnant with Lisi....Wow! Life would be so different...(WHAT? Not the Band Booster President????!) Enough about me (hahaha). She will be better than fine, because she is a spectacular person. and now we get to check out what's behind door number 2 (and 3 and 4 and...you know what I mean). Thanks for being such supportive people for her.

9 comments:

Ann said...

their loss. major loss.
cheerio-freaking-O to them.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Lisi didn't make it, it is most certainly their loss....but you really didn't want to live in England did you????

Joan said...

It's painful for a while no matter what little truisms you can drum up. And it's painful for the parents when the "little" one is hurting. Definitely their loss and a big win for some other university. We'd still be happy to be a back up family designation if she comes to Portland. And look how great the weather is here!

Harlan Brown said...

America is better off with Lisi here! Damn British, never know a good thing when they see it. You're correct about opportunities, they do come along and it's up to us to make something out of them. Confused? Me too.

Janet said...

I am sorry about the rejection (a harsh word). Many schools have wonderful opportunities for studying abroad and there are other avenues to study in a place you would like. Keep us informed about the next college of choice. How about Kenyon College in beautiful Gambier, Ohio?

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I like the when one door closes another door opens philosophy. AnnaLise is a real inspiration hearing how she interviewed with the Cambridge professors and reading poetry to an audience. We all need to test ourselves that way! AnnaLise you are a hero to us older less spunky adults. I wish you all the best with your college selection and know whatever happens you are a rockstar! I like this blog action and feel a little funny because it is my first blog comment. love Connie

Anonymous said...

Hi AnnaLise,
I'm sorry about you not getting Cambridge.Maybe you will you get into another college. I hope you do Love Sommer

Anonymous said...

Oh, so that's a Jewish cliché? Hmmm. I thought that was an original line from The Sound of Music. Now I know WHY Mother Superior got rid of Maria. How do you solve a problem like Maria? Kick her ass out of the convent. Food for thought… Anyway, now that I've cleared that up I have a quote of my own for Cambridge: Hasta la vista, Dumb Ass!

Henry cumings mixsell said...

So sorry to hear about Lisi's not getting in to Oxford. Rejection DOES suck, no matter what anyone says. Oh well, there's always Yale. . . (I have no idea if that's on her list, but at least it would give you an excuse to come visit Connecticut!)