Sunday, September 14, 2008

Perspective

There are occasional moments in life where things become cloudy and clear at the same time. This happened for me on Friday afternoon, when the Metrolink train wreck occurred. It was a surreal moment to see the accident and realize that it was the exact train at the exact time that I rode on with my niece, Chelsi, and Lisi and friend Cindy in June. I remember our train stopping for the signal light to let the freight train go by with a whoosh. Whoa.
Say a little prayer of thanks for a safe journey.
Unfortunately, one of our band students, a friend of Lisi's that she talked into joining drumline last year was not so fortunate. Alex's dad, Pete (Ernest) was commuting home on that train. I felt a pit in my stomach when I saw Alex's facebook asking for people to pray for his dad who was still not home and it was midnight on Friday. Pete, the guy with a smile on his face every time we'd greet. Pete, the guy who stepped up to run the pancake breakfast last year for the Band, even though he had one the next morning for his church. I got a text from Alex the next day that was gut wrenching and simple...his dad didn't make it.
It is cloudy right now. A heavy marine layer lies over this valley we live in. It mimics the heart. But for all the fog, the clarity is sharp: Life is precious and in a split second yours can change or end. Appreciate your moments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Henry cumings mixsell said...

So sorry for your friend and his family, Tracy, but I appreciate your putting it on your blog and sharing your thoughts with me.

Anonymous said...

That brought tears Traci, both for the scenario described and for the way you wrote it. Let's never lose our sensitivity.

Joan said...

Thank you for an important reminder. My eyes teared up also even though I don't know the family.