Sunday, August 31, 2008

First Days




The first day of school. Always an exciting moment (for the mother)...new books, new locker, new friends (OK, so I don't get the new locker). This last week was the beginning of Lisi's Senior year, or what she calls her "last year of compulsory education". She willingly let me take the obligatory "First Day Of School" picture, as I have for every year that she has been in school. My favorite remains the first day of pre-school (above, obviously). The look of intent upon her face is a true display of the person she has always been: Ready for the challenge. As she drove us to school (see earlier blog) I was acutely aware of the passing of time. Now, we all know that it is usually about me, so why be coy? I wonder what my days will be like next year after driving her to college. I have given up the idea of following her (all breath a deep sigh of relief). She refused to join a sorority with me any way, so what's the point? (And to think, I had matching outfits picked out). So as she begins her senior year towards independence, I too begin mine.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally precious! How neat to have pictures of the first day of school each year!

Ann said...

it looks like she's moving out.

that look on her face probably has something to do with that butt ugly (it also looks dirty but i'm sure that's just the lighting) jacket you made her wear.

and her lunch box could hold an entire thanksgiving dinner.

Traci said...

OK, more comments like that and you are OUT. The jacket was a gift from her god-mothers. hahaha

Joan said...

I can't believe she was heading to pre-school in that first picture. Was it boarding school?! She's carrying more stuff in the pre-school photo than in the senior in HS verion. But, then, having lived through two senior years with my kids, I can't say I'm surprised.
Good luck surviving this year. That "compulsory education" comment is a little preview. Of course, Lisi won't be like some other ungrateful children who just can't wait to get away from home. (!)

Janet said...

I am off to my first day of school for the 23+ time. What do I wear? What should I take for lunch? I can't sleep very well... I want to have the Lisi pre-school look. Don't mess with me or I will knock you out with my backpack full of books and my lunch. I can't find my darn pink coat! Good luck to Lisi in her senior year. Much to look forward to and of course the college search.

Anonymous said...

The pictures are so darn cute and the comments that follow are so damn funny!
We didn't take pictures on first day of school but bought the class photo: every single year for all 3 kids! (for Charles all the way to senior year!)Lots of kids now post them on Facebook, so good investment.

Anonymous said...

how cold is it on the first day of school to be wearing the ski jacket? in LA?
here in east coast the kids are in short snd t-shirts. she looks ready for a full day of something